Cos, anchovy, egg and crouton salad with a Grana Padano dressing
- September 2006
- 8 ciabatta slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cos or romaine lettuce hearts
- 75g fresh (from supermarket deli counters) or canned anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- Small block Grana Padano, for shaving
For the dressing
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large, very fresh egg yolk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp finely grated Grana Padano
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Tear the ciabatta into small pieces and toss in a bowl with the olive oil. Spread out on a lightly oiled baking tray and bake for 5-7 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then season lightly with salt.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs into a pan of boiling water and boil for 7 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water.
- Make the dressing. Put the garlic, egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, grated cheese and some seasoning into a small bowl. Mix together briefly with an electric hand whisk, then slowly whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil to make a smooth dressing. Stir in the cream. Chill until needed.
- Discard the outside leaves of the lettuce and tear the rest into small pieces. Toss with 4 tablespoons of the dressing. Divide between 8 serving plates or bowls.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut into quarters. Arrange over the lettuce leaves with the anchovy fillets, then scatter with the croutons. Just before serving, drizzle over the remaining dressing. Using a sharp potato peeler, shave the Grana Padano cheese all over the salad and serve.
Note: this recipe contains raw egg.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Griddled little gem and ham hock caesar salad
Cooking the little gem lettuce on a griddle adds a wonderful charred flavour to this...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...