Creamy tomato orzo with artichokes and ricotta
- April 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
This easy recipe uses storecupboard ingredients including marinated artichokes, orzo and tomato purée to create a fuss-free springtime dish.
- 13.1g (4.7g saturated)
- 71.9g (8.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp frozen chopped shallots (or use 2 fresh banana shallots)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 360g orzo pasta
- 390g tin artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half if large
- 4 tbsp tomato purée mixed with 800ml boiling water
- 1 veg stock pot
- 200g ricotta (see Tips)
- Small handful fresh dill or flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Juice ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp pul biber (aleppo pepper) or a good grind of black pepper to serve
- Heat the oil in a casserole or large saucepan and gently fry the shallots for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the oregano, orzo and artichokes, then pour in the tomato stock and add the veg stock pot. Stir while bringing up to a fast simmer, then cook for 10 minutes until the orzo is tender. Stir the pot every now and then to stop it catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in half the ricotta along with half the dill or parsley to make a creamy sauce. Taste it and add a squeeze or two of lemon juice as required. Serve with the remaining ricotta spooned on top, then sprinkle with the remaining dill or parsley and the pepper.
Easy swaps: Use feta instead of ricotta for a sharper tang. Try frozen mixed peas and beans or roasted red peppers instead of artichokes.
Halve to serve two: To feed two, halve the recipe and use a smaller casserole or saucepan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Budget pasta recipes
Easy orzo pasta with oregano, feta and tomato sauce
Make a change to your midweek bowl of pasta and use tiny rice-sized orzo to...