Courgette, fennel and potato salad
- July 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus 30 minutes’ standing
This zesty courgette, fennel and potato salad recipe makes a great dish for a barbecue.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10.2g (1.5g saturated)
- 29.4g (4.3g sugar)
- trace salt
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil, rapeseed oil or sunflower oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons (unwaxed, if possible)
- 6 small courgettes
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced, any fronds reserved to garnish
- 3 medium waxy potatoes
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, lemon zest and lemon juice with a generous pinch of sea salt to make a thin dressing. Using a wide vegetable peeler, peel the courgettes lengthways into thin strips. Add to the dressing along with the fennel. Fold everything together so that the dressing covers all the vegetables. (The lemon juice and salt will just ‘cook’ the courgette and soften it up.) Leave this mix to stand for a good 30 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces. Boil in plenty of salted boiling water for about 8-10 minutes or until they are just tender but in no danger of falling apart. Drain thoroughly and set aside to cool slightly.
- Toss the warm potatoes with the courgette and fennel mixture, and season with black pepper. Divide between plates, garnish with any reserved fennel fronds and serve with plenty of really good rustic bread to mop up the dressing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Warm salad of griddled courgettes, fennel, goat’s cheese and bacon
This attractive summer salad recipe is low in calories and ready in under half an...