Crispy sliced lemon-roasted potatoes
- March 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 60-70 min
”I find this recipe easier than faffing about with individual potatoes. Not least as there is plenty of margin for error. You still get that crispy, crunchy texture in this version as well as a hit of freshness from the lemon.” – Steffi Knowles-Dellner
Like these? You’ll love our crispy pan potatoes, too.
- 6.5g (1g saturated
- 41.4g (2g sugars)
- 1.3-1.5kg floury potatoes such as maris piper, peeled
- 50ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- Grated zest and juice 1½ lemons
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
You’ll also need…
- Large oven dish with high sides, about 35cm x 20cm
- Begin by thinly slicing the potatoes about 0.25cm thick. The easiest way to do this is to use a mandoline or the slicing attachment on a food processor. If you’re doing it by hand, make sure you have the radio on and a comfortable seat as it will take a while. Put the slices in a large bowl of cold water as you go.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Drain the potatoes and pat dry on kitchen paper. Stack the potato slices upright in lines that run the length of the oven dish. Pack them tightly together so they support each other to form long rows.
- Mix the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice with the dried thyme and oregano. Drizzle over the potatoes, then sprinkle with sea salt and the fresh thyme leaves.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until crisp and golden (cover with foil if they start going too brown). Test that the centres of the potato slices are soft and cooked through with a skewer before removing from the oven.
If you have leftovers, keep them covered and chilled. If you only have a few, you could reheat as a garnish for soup – fry in a small pan with a little butter to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter