Vegetarian carrot toad in the hole
- January 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 35 min
This quick and easy vegetarian toad in the hole uses heritage carrots instead of bangers and a touch of chilli and spice for heat and colour.
For another veggie toad in the hole recipe, try this autumnal twist on toad in the hole, made with squash and Stilton.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.1g fat (4.8g saturated)
- 15.3g protein
- 48.1g carbs (12.1g sugars)
- 6.3g fibre
- 0.7g salt
- 180g plain flour
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 280ml whole milk
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
For the filling
- 300g baby heritage carrots
- 2 red onions, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely sliced (or leave in seeds for more heat)
- 1 tsp sumac or paprika
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Ready-made onion gravy to serve (optional)
You’ll also need
- Deep 30cm x 20cm roasting tin
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Sift the flour into a large bowl with a good pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre, crack in the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the milk and mix to make a smooth batter. Stir in the mustard, season well, then set the batter aside to rest while you prepare the veg (see Make Ahead).
- Toss the carrots and onions with the chilli, sumac and oil in the tin. Roast for 15 minutes, then increase the heat to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7 and pour the batter over. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and risen.
- Cut the bake into wedges and serve with warmed gravy, if using.
Regular orange carrots and brown onions will work in place of heritage carrots and red onion. Or swap the carrots with butternut squash or celeriac wedges.
Make the batter and chill up to 2 hours ahead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Best of British recipes
Georgina Fuggle’s horseradish and tomato toad in the hole
Georgina Fuggle’s wonderful twist on the classic toad in the hole sees sausages wrapped in...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...