Fish pie with crispy gnocchi topping
- July 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Try our updated version of the family classic; fish pie. Instead of mashed potatoes, we’ve added a crispy gnocchi topping to the creamy fish mixture.
- 12.7g (5.6g saturated)
- 42.8g (6.2g sugars)
- 650g sustainable white fish fillets
- 125g petits pois
- 300ml whole milk
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced and zested
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 400g fresh potato gnocchi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g steamed green beans
- Put the fish, petits pois and milk in a shallow ovenproof pan or casserole and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, then turn the fish over, re-cover and simmer for 2 minutes until just cooked through. Set a sieve over a jug, strain the fish and peas, then set both aside.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Return the pan to the hob and melt the butter, then whisk in the flour and cook over the heat for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk
in the reserved cooking liquid until smooth, then bubble for 2-3 minutes to thicken. Whisk in the mustard, 1½ tsp tarragon, lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper. Return the fish and peas to the pan and stir gently to coat in the sauce.
- Toss the gnocchi with the olive oil. Scatter over the fish and grill for 5-8 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve topped with the lemon zest, remaining tarragon leaves and steamed green beans.
Rate & review