Gill Meller’s brown butter and poppy seed shortbread biscuits
- Online only
- 300g unsalted butter
- 150g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 300g plain flour
- 150g cornflour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
You will also need…
- 25 x 15cm non-stick cake tin
- Heat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas mark 3 1/2. Put the butter in a small heavy-based pan over a low-medium heat. Shake the pan once in a while to stop the butter spitting. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until the butter smells fragrant and nutty and you see the solids browning on the base of the pan. Skim any foamy bubbles from the top.
- Put the sugar in a medium mixing bowl, then pour over the butter, leaving the solids in the base of the pan; mix well. Combine the flour, cornflour and a pinch of fine salt in a separate bowl, then add to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Use a spatula to bring everything together to a soft dough. Spread the dough evenly into the cake tin, pressing it down with a spatula to level it. Bake for 50-55 minutes until just firm. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with caster sugar and the poppy seeds. Use a knife to score into rectangular fingers. When fully cool, cut into fingers.
Don’t overwork the dough or it will become tough, rather than crumbly.
The biscuits will keep in an airtight container for up to 48 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ginger shortbread biscuits
Perfect on their own as a delicious teatime treat or, for an impressive dinner party...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...