Gochujang mac-and-cheese toastie
- January 2023
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 min
Good old cheese and onion meets fiery Korean flavour in this double-carb beauty. The funky, savoury heat is tempered by the creamy cheese sauce and fresh spring onions, while the soft pasta tubes provide the ideal medium to hold the thick sauce between toasted sourdough. It’s a serious upgrade on the grilled cheese sandwich.
Check out more double-carb delights.
- 37g (23g saturated)
- 89g (6.8g sugars)
- 150g dried macaroni
- 25g unsalted butter, plus extra for frying
- 25g plain flour
- 150g whole milk, warmed
- 80g mature cheddar, coarsely grated
- 80g mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- 2 tsp gochujang (see Know-how)
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 4 large slices sourdough
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 minutes (until al dente – cooked but with a bit of bite), then drain. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then stir in the flour and cook for a minute. Slowly whisk in the warmed milk bit by bit to create a smooth sauce, which will thicken after a few minutes. Beat in the cheeses until melted, then stir in the gochujang, spring onions and sesame seeds. Add the pasta and stir together well.
- Put a large frying pan over a medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of bread, then place two of them butter-side down in the frying pan. Spoon plenty of the warm mac and cheese onto each slice, then top with the remaining bread with the buttered side on the outside. Flip after a minute or two and cook for another minute or until the bread is nice and toasted.
Scale it up You can make a big batch of mac and cheese (just double the quantities), then use the leftovers (which freeze well) for this toastie. Do heat it up first in a pan.
Gochujang is a fiery fermented chilli paste from Korea. While most supermarkets now sell their own brands, we recommend a Korean brand for the best flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter