Grapefruit and ginger vodka
- November 2019
- Makes 2 litres
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 5 min, plus infusing
Who doesn’t love an edible homemade Christmas gift? And what better gift to give than a homemade festive cocktail, flavoured with ginger and grapefruit? Whoever the lucky recipient is, it’s sure to make their Christmas.
If you like the look of this, you’ll love this spicy gingerbread vodka, too.
- no fat
- no protein
- 12.5g (12.5g sugars)
- no fibe
- no salt
- Finely grated zest 5 ruby grapefruit (reserve 2 of the zested grapefruit for later)
- 750ml vodka
- 6cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 500g caster sugar
You’ll also need…
- Large preserving jar or bottle; sterilised bottle(s) – find out how to sterilise jars here
- Spoon the zest into the preserving jar or bottle, pour in the vodka, then seal and shake. Keep in a cupboard for 1-2 weeks. Wrap and keep 2 of the zested grapefruit in the fridge for later on in the recipe (use the rest in another recipe, or eat).
- After 1-2 weeks, put the ginger in a saucepan with the sugar and 500ml cold water. Squeeze in the juice from the 2 reserved grapefruit, then bring to the boil. Leave to bubble for 2 minutes, then remove the syrup from the heat and cool.
- Stir the infused vodka into the syrup, then strain through a fine sieve into a large jug. Decant into a sterilised bottle/bottles and drink well chilled (see tips).
You’ll need to start the recipe 1-2 weeks ahead. The vodka will keep in the fridge (or freezer) for up to 1 month. Tie with a ribbon and a tag with the name and drink-by date.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spiced cherries in vodka
Feel smug in the knowledge that you’ve imbibed a few vitamins along with the alcohol...