Grilled chicken thighs with sweet potato wedges, courgettes and feta
- July 2021
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on time 25-30 min
Serve these grilled or barbecued chicken thighs with sweet potatoes, courgettes and feta for an easy, flavour-packed summer dinner.
We love a budget-friendly chicken thigh. Here’s 60+ more tried and tested chicken thigh recipes to try.
- 27.4g (7.4g saturated)
- 32.9g (10.5g sugars)
- 4 free-range skin-on chicken thighs, skin slashed
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, cut into wedges (skin on)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 large courgettes, sliced lengthways into 0.5cm thick strips (or 6-8 baby courgettes, halved)
- Small bunch basil, leaves picked and roughly chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- Small bunch coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 30g pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 80g feta, crumbled
You will also need
- Barbecue with a lid (or grill and griddle pan)
Useful to have
- Small food processor
- Heat/light the barbecue and spread the coals in an even layer. Rub the chicken and sweet potato wedges all over with oil, then season. Arrange on the barbecue, then cook with the lid down for 25-30 minutes, turning every so often, until tender and charred.
- Meanwhile, make a pesto by whizzing together the basil, coriander, most of the pine nuts, the garlic, parmesan, 3 tbsp oil and half the lemon juice in a small food processor (or use a pestle and mortar or finely chop by hand). Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more lemon juice if needed.
- When the chicken is nearly ready, brush the courgettes with oil, then add to the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until tender and just charred.
- Serve the chicken, potato wedges and courgettes with the pesto spooned over, then crumble the feta over the top. Sprinkle with the rest of the pine nuts, the lemon zest and some basil leaves,
Easy swaps Swap the pine nuts in the recipe for almonds or hazelnuts if you prefer.
Skip the BBQ Grill the chicken thighs on a foil-lined baking sheet for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked through. Cook the sweet potato on a ridged griddle pan over a medium heat; or put it all on an oven tray and roast in a 180°C fan/gas 6 oven for 25-35 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Burmese grilled chicken with sticky and crispy rice
Dan Doherty’s grilled chicken recipe was inspired by a traditional meal he ate during his...
Chargrilled chicken with roasted tomatoes, avocado, peas and mint
This healthy chargrilled chicken is full of smoky flavour and served with fresh tomatoes and...
Teriyaki chicken with sweet potato wedges and slaw
Give chicken a new lease of life with teriyaki flavours, a crunchy slaw and healthy...