Gushtaba (spicy meat balls in a yogurt sauce)
- November 2005
- 450g finely minced lamb
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 120g plain natural yogurt
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 1 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Patak’s Rogan Josh Curry Paste
- 200ml whipping cream
- Large pinch of unrefined sugar
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Put the mince in a large bowl. Add the paprika, chilli powder, fennel seeds, coriander, pepper, cardamom and ginger. Add 1 tablespoon yogurt, then use your hands to mix together. Shape into 16-18 balls or koftas, using a little flour to prevent sticking.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs, in batches if necessary, for 10-15 minutes, until cooked. Set aside on kitchen paper.
- Add the curry paste to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream, sugar and a little salt. Return the meatballs to the pan and heat through. Stir in the remaining yogurt and sprinkle with garam masala.
- Transfer to bowls and serve with chapattis or biryani rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...