Ham hock, pea and potato salad
- August 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 40-45 min
Try something new with your classic potato salad recipe. We’ve added shredded ham hock, peas and apple and drizzled it with a buttermilk dressing.
- 9.3g (2g saturated)
- 38.9g (8.8g sugars)
- 750g charlotte potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 4 garlic cloves (skins on)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 granny smith apple, finely sliced
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted in a dry frying pan
- 6 tbsp buttermilk or natural yogurt
- 100g bag lamb’s lettuce
- 2 x 90g packs pulled ham hock
- 150g frozen peas, defrosted
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the potatoes and garlic cloves with the oil in a large roasting tin and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes (after 15 minutes, remove the garlic cloves, squeeze the flesh into a small bowl and set aside).
- Put the apple slices and vinegar in a shallow non-metallic bowl with a pinch of salt, cover with cling film and set aside for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, crush half the cumin seeds in a pestle and mortar, then whisk with the roasted garlic flesh, buttermilk and salt and pepper to taste.
- When the potatoes are cooked, set them aside to cool slightly for 5 minutes and drain the apples (discard the vinegar). Toss the potatoes and apples in a bowl with the lamb’s lettuce, ham hock and peas. Transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with the dressing, scatter with the remaining cumin seeds and serve.
If you don’t have time to roast the potatoes, simmer them for 20 minutes in a pan of salted water (you can omit the garlic cloves).
Next time: Add broad beans and baby gem lettuce and swap the cumin seeds for fennel seeds.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Country-style potato salad
Unlike a traditional potato salad recipe, this one is made with olives, tomatoes and oregano...
Chicken, dill and potato salad with anchovy dressing and rye bread croutons
Try something a little different for dinner this week with this Swedish-inspired salad. Bursting with...