Healthier steak and caper stroganoff
- March 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Our healthy steak and caper stroganoff recipe is only 350 calories per serving. We’ve used half-fat crème fraîche and stretched two sirloin steaks to feed four people for a thrifty and good-for-you midweek meal.
Want to try something veggie instead? How about our mushroom stroganoff with creamy polenta.
- 16.3g (7.6g saturated)
- 7.6g (5.3g sugars)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 (total weight 600g) thick British free-range sirloin steaks
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml good quality beef stock
- 160g half-fat crème fraîche
- 200g mixed leafy greens, sliced (spinach or spring greens work well)
- 1½-2 tbsp capers in brine, drained
- Large handful fresh chopped herbs (we used parsley and dill)
- Heat a little of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Sear the steaks for 1 minute on each side, then set aside. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and fry the mushrooms until golden, then set aside with the steaks.
- Turn the heat down slightly, add the onion, then cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then pour in the stock. Stir again, then bring to the boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any stuck-on flavour.
- Stir in the crème fraîche, sliced greens and the capers, then cook for 1 minute. Slice the steaks, remove any fat/sinew (discard), then add to the pan. Season to taste and cook for another 2 minutes to heat the meat through. Sprinkle over the fresh herbs and serve with hot rice or potatoes, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Veal rifreddo (meatloaf)
“The ideal versatile dish to have stashed away in your fridge to eat for lunch,...