Indian bubble and squeak with fried eggs
- June 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Don’t throw away the vegetables leftover from Sunday’s roast, simple fry them up with Indian spices then top with a fried egg for an easy meat-free dinner.
- 17.3g (3.3g saturated)
- 16g (10.6g sugars)
- 800g leftover mixed vegetables (see tip)
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Good pinch chilli flakes
- 4 free-range eggs
- Chop the vegetables into chunks and halve the cherry tomatoes, then set aside. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan.
- Slice the onion and fry for 5-6 minutes until softened and lightly coloured. Crush the garlic into the pan, then stir in the mustard seeds and turmeric. Cook for 2-3 minutes more. If it looks dry, add a little more oil.
- Tip the veg and tomatoes into the pan and fry over a high heat, squashing down the veg, until piping hot and flecked with crispy golden bits. Stir through the garam masala and chilli. Cook for another minute.
- Meanwhile, in a separate hot frying pan, fry the eggs in a drizzle of oil. Divide the veg mixture among 4 plates, then top each with a fried egg.
If you don’t have enough leftover veg, add a tin of drained and rinsed chickpeas.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas leftover recipes
Black pudding bubble and squeak with eggs and hollandaise
These black pudding bubble and squeak cakes with a quick hollandaise sauce and poached duck...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...