Indian bubble and squeak with fried eggs
- June 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Don’t throw away the vegetables leftover from Sunday’s roast, simple fry them up with Indian spices then top with a fried egg for an easy meat-free dinner.
- 17.3g (3.3g saturated)
- 16g (10.6g sugars)
- 800g leftover mixed vegetables (see tip)
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Good pinch chilli flakes
- 4 free-range eggs
- Chop the vegetables into chunks and halve the cherry tomatoes, then set aside. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan.
- Slice the onion and fry for 5-6 minutes until softened and lightly coloured. Crush the garlic into the pan, then stir in the mustard seeds and turmeric. Cook for 2-3 minutes more. If it looks dry, add a little more oil.
- Tip the veg and tomatoes into the pan and fry over a high heat, squashing down the veg, until piping hot and flecked with crispy golden bits. Stir through the garam masala and chilli. Cook for another minute.
- Meanwhile, in a separate hot frying pan, fry the eggs in a drizzle of oil. Divide the veg mixture among 4 plates, then top each with a fried egg.
If you don’t have enough leftover veg, add a tin of drained and rinsed chickpeas.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas leftover recipes
Black pudding bubble and squeak with eggs and hollandaise
These black pudding bubble and squeak cakes with a quick hollandaise sauce and poached duck...