Lemon and raspberry bread and butter pudding
- September 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 25 min, plus soaking and cooling
If you make one pudding, it has to be this unbelievably easy throw-together pud that champions tangy raspberries, smothered in buttery vanilla custard and spiked with tangy lemon curd.
We also have an amazing marmalade bread and butter pudding that you will love.
Recipe from My Kind of Food by Valli Little (ABC Books), published in Australia.
- 28.5g (17g saturated)
- 67.2g (35.4g sugars)
- 450g brioche loaf, cut into 2cm slices
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g lemon curd
- 250g raspberries
- 500ml carton good-quality vanilla custard
- 300ml single cream, plus extra to serve (optional)
- Icing sugar to dust
For the lemon curd
- 230g caster sugar
- 185ml lemon juice
- 3 medium free-range eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 70g unsalted butter, chopped and softened
You’ll also need…
- 1 litre baking dish, greased with butter
- Start by making the lemon curd. Put the sugar, lemon juice, whole eggs, yolks and vanilla in a heatproof bowl and whisk to combine.
- Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Cook gently for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the curd has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the 70g butter and a pinch of sea salt. Strain through a sieve into a jug. Reserve 125ml for this recipe and store the rest (see tips).
- Spread the brioche slices with butter followed by the 125ml lemon curd. Cut
the slices into triangles or squares, then layer in the prepared baking dish, dotting with the raspberries as you go.
- Whisk together the custard and cream until just combined. Pour over the brioche, then set aside for 30 minutes to soak.
- Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3. Bake for 45 minutes until the crust is golden. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then dust with icing sugar. Serve drizzled with extra cream, if you like.
One of Bordeaux’s classic sweet wines such as a sauternes, chilled lightly, would be a proper treat with this.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bread and butter pudding recipes
Bread and butter pudding with clementine and honey compote
This classic British pud is a great way of using up stale bread. You’ll love...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...