Peppers with roasted garlic, anchovies and basil
- September 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus marinating
A stunning Italian starter by Angela Hartnett featuring sweet roasted red peppers, salty anchovies, roasted garlic and basil.
- 8.2g (1.2g saturated)
- 8.5g (8g sugars)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped
- 10 anchovy fillets in oil (or marinated anchovies), drained
- Glug red wine vinegar
- Glug extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 8 red romano peppers (see tip)
- Olive oil for brushing
- A few fresh oregano leaves to serve
- In a non-metallic dish, combine the garlic, rosemary leaves, anchovy fillets and a generous glug each of vinegar and olive oil.
- Brush the peppers with a little olive oil, then char over an open flame on a gas hob or grill on a high heat, turning, until the skin turns black in parts and starts to peel off.
- Add the charred peppers to the garlic vinegar mix, toss thoroughly, season with salt and pepper and cover the dish tightly with cling film (this allows the peppers to continue to steam and cook, and makes them easier to peel).
- Once the peppers have cooled, remove the cling film and peel most of the blackened skin from the flesh and discard (don’t worry about removing all of it; a few bits will give a nice charred flavour). Discard the seeds, slice the flesh, then arrange on a platter. Serve drizzled with the rosemary and garlic dressing and sprinkled with oregano leaves.
Romano peppers are longer and thinner than regular peppers, but if you can’t find them, regular red peppers will do.
Make up to the end of step 3, cool completely, cover and chill for up to 4 hours. Complete the recipe to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter