Pigs in blankets sausage rolls
- December 2020
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30-35 min, plus chilling
What do you get if you cross pigs in blankets with sausage rolls? These Christmassy sausage-and-bacon puff-pastry bites, which make ideal canapés. They’re quick to make, require just 5 ingredients and are extremely moreish (you have been warned…)
Or, for a meatier mouthful, make this giant sausage roll to slice and share.
- 13g fat (4.8g saturated)
- 5.6g protein
- 13g carbs (2.2g sugars)
- 1.1g fibre
- 0.5g salt
- 320g sheet of ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2-3 tsp cranberry sauce, plus extra for dipping
- 4 outdoor-reared smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 12 uncooked cocktail sausages
- 1 egg, beaten
- Unroll the puff pastry and, still on its paper lining, roll it out slightly wider and longer. Cut 3 lines lengthways to make 4 even strips of pastry. Divide each strip into 3 even pieces. Put a dot of cranberry sauce in the centre of each piece of pastry, then cut each bacon rasher into 3 pieces and use them to top the cranberry dots.
- Put one cocktail sausage crossways on each piece of bacon, then roll up the pastry so the ends just overlap. Trim off and reserve any offcuts. Put the seams underneath, then brush all over with the beaten egg and put on a baking sheet lined with compostable baking paper. Shape the offcuts into decorations, if you like, secure with more beaten egg, then chill for 20
- Bake at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 30-35 minutes until golden and puffed, then serve with extra cranberry sauce.
Any leftovers will keep chilled for up to 3 days.
Rate & review