Quick beef pho
- November 2013
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, simmering time 25 minutes
This famous Vietnamese beef soup recipe is full of flavour. Serve the pho with lime wedges and extra chilli.
- 3g (1.1g saturated)
- 43.3g (4.5g sugars)
- 2 litres good-quality fresh beef stock
- 4cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 hot red chilli, finely sliced, plus extra to serve
- 300g rice noodles
- 400g rump or sirloin steak, sliced
- Large handful each of beansprouts, chopped fresh coriander, fresh Thai basil (or regular basil) and mint
- Lime wedges and hot sauce to serve
- Pour the beef stock into a pan and dilute with cold water to taste. Add the ginger, onion, star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves, palm sugar, fish sauce and chilli. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the packet instructions, then add to the pot. Season to taste, then add the steak, beansprouts and herbs.
- Serve straightaway with lime wedges, plus extra chilli and some sriracha (from Tesco and Asda) or other hot sauce, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vietnamese beef soup
This delicious spicy soup recipe takes a while to make but very little effort. The...