Quick spicy beef pho with egg noodles
- May 2011
- 600ml beef stock (we used Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients)
- 1 long red chilli, halved, plus a few slices for garnish
- 1 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, roughly chopped
- 150g sugar snap peas and baby sweetcorn
- 180g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Pulled British Beef (or similar)
- 300g egg noodles (we used Waitrose Free Range Egg Noodles)
- 2 handfuls of beansprouts
- Pour the stock into a medium saucepan, add the halved chilli, sliced ginger and lemongrass, bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain through a sieve into a clean pan and discard the aromatics.
- Halve the baby sweetcorn lengthways, then add to the stock with the sugar snap peas. Simmer for 2 minutes, add the pulled beef and heat through for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, heat the noodles according to the packet instructions, then divide between 2 soup bowls.
- Pour over the soup, dividing the meat and veg evenly. Add a handful of beansprouts to each bowl and scatter with the sliced chilli to serve.
Use chicken stock and substitute cooked large prawns instead of beef, adding them at the last minute
Rate & review