Quick pepper steak with shallot sauce
- February 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
Make this quick and easy, yet indulgent, steak recipe for a midweek treat – in just 20 minutes. The rich shallot and cognac sauce is the perfect accompaniement to the steak and crispy fries.
- 25g butter
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 4 tbsp cognac
- 200ml red wine
- 200ml beef stock from ½ stock cube, hot
- Oil, for frying
- 2 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
- 4 rump or sirloin steaks
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes, to soften. Pour in the cognac, boil for 1 minute, then add the wine. Increase the heat and boil for a few minutes to reduce by half.
- Meanwhile, make up the stock and pour in. Boil until reduced by half again. Stir in the butter, season to taste, and leave over a low heat.
- Meanwhile, brush a griddle or frying pan with a little oil and place over a high heat. Press the peppercorns all over the steaks. Place in the hot pan and cook for 2-5 minutes each side, depending how you like them cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside for 2 minutes to rest.
- Divide between plates. Pour over the sauce and serve with thin-cut oven chips and grilled vine tomatoes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Barbecue pepper steak sandwiches
A small barbecue is all you need to make a stonking supper of barbecue pepper...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...