Roast beetroot, egg and caper salad with dill and horseradish vinaigrette
- August 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 1 hour, plus cooling
The punch flavour of fresh horseradish works particularly well with sweet, earthy beetroot and boiled eggs. Serve this Scandinavian-style salad as a sophisticated dinner party side dish.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.8g (1.4g saturated)
- 12.5g (11.4g sugars)
- 1kg medium-size fresh beetroot, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp small capers, rinsed and drained, plus extra to garnish
- ½ small bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp finely grated fresh horseradish, depending on taste
- ¼ tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 hardboiled eggs, chopped into 1cm pieces
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Toss together the diced beetroot, olive oil and some salt and black pepper in a roasting tin, cover with foil, then roast for 1 hour or until tender. Remove and leave to cool.
- Put the cooked beetroot into a medium bowl with the rinsed capers and chopped fresh dill, then toss together well.
- Whisk the red wine vinegar, grated horseradish, sugar and extra-virgin olive oil with salt and pepper. Stir into the beetroot, mix gently with the chopped eggs, then set aside at room temperature for 1 hour if you wish.
- Spoon the beetroot salad onto a serving plate, then sprinkle with a few more capers and a little more chopped dill.
This salad would work well served with an oily fish such as grilled mackerel.
Prepare up to 2 hours ahead and keep covered in the fridge until you need it.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...