Barbecue sweet potatoes with garlic and herb dressing
- July 2015
- Serves 6 as a side
- Hands-on time 15 min, barbecue or oven time 1 hour
Simply wrap sweet potatoes in foil then leave to slowly cook in your barbecue embers while you make a gorgeous garlic and herb soured cream topping.
If you’re after something speedier, try our grilled sweet potatoes with a honey glaze.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16.2g (7.2g saturated)
- 44.2g (13.6g sugars)
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- 6 fat garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 300g soured cream or natural yogurt
- ½ red onion
- Finely grated zest and juice
- 1 lemon
- Small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Small bunch fresh mint, chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- Put each sweet potato on a large piece of foil. Drizzle over olive oil and season well. Wrap tightly and put in the barbecue embers for 45-60 minutes. Alternatively, roast in an oven heated to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wrap the garlic cloves in a little foil, drizzle with olive oil, and leave in the embers for 15-20 minutes until soft (or cook in the oven, as above, for 20 minutes). Finely slice the red onion and put in a non-metallic bowl with most of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the flesh from the skins into a large bowl and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Mix in the soured cream or yogurt gradually to distribute the garlic evenly.
- When ready to serve, add the chopped herbs, lemon zest and the remaining lemon juice, season and taste. Remove the onions from the lemon juice, squeezing them dry.
- Open the sweet potato parcels, squash the flesh open a bit, spoon over the garlic and herb dressing, scatter with the onions and extra mint leaves, then serve in the foil.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...