Sausage and turkey stew
- December 2010
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 1 hour to cook
This sausage and turkey casserole recipe is the best way to use up leftover turkey. You could use turkey breast, leg or a combination of both, depending what you have to hand.
- 20g (7g saturated)
- 21.2g (4.8g sugar)
For 10 servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 400g (about 6) Toulouse sausages (available from Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Tesco)
- 200g thick-cut smoked bacon lardons
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750g butternut squash, peeled and cut into small wedges
- 200ml white wine
- 500g leftover cooked turkey, thickly shredded
- Large bunch of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 600ml chicken stock, hot
- 2 x 400g tins of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- Large handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole over a medium-high heat and cook the sausages for 8 minutes until browned all over. Remove, chop into large pieces, then set aside in a bowl.
- Add the bacon lardons, cook until crisp, then remove to the sausage bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the onion to the pan with the remaining oil, lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes, adding the garlic for the final 2 minutes. Remove the onion and garlic with a slotted spoon and add to the sausages and bacon.
- Add the squash wedges to the casserole and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour over the wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Return the Toulouse sausages, bacon and onion to the casserole, then stir in the turkey and thyme. Season well and pour over the stock. Bring to the boil, then cover, turn down the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes, then stir in the crème fraîche and parsley and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter