Seaweed and miso butter
- August 2022
- Hands-on time 15 min
Umami-rich seaweed butter with miso will elevate your cooking to pro-chef levels. Use seaweed butter straight away or shape, wrap and freeze to use whenever your steak, fish or seafood needs a flavour boost.
Try our blue-cheese or garlic and herb flavoured butters, too.
- 8.2g (5.2g saturated)
- 0.1g (0.1g sugars)
- 250g block unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 5g dried wakame or dulse seaweed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- Roughly dice the butter before you begin mixing it with the other ingredients to ensure an even distribution of the flavourings.
- Finely chop or crush the dried seaweed, then put in a small bowl. Pour over
the apple cider vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes to lightly pickle and rehydrate. Add the seaweed and vinegar to the butter along with 1 tbsp white miso paste. To mix, you can either use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to beat the butter and ingredients together (this gives a coarser finish, flecked
with herbs). Or pop everything in a food processor to whizz all the ingredients into a smooth butter, or stir ingredients into the butter with a wooden spoon (make sure your butter is super-soft to save on elbow grease).
- Once your seaweed butter is evenly mixed and tastes the way you want it to, it’s ready to use. Or wrap and freeze it, ready to be used whenever a dish needs something extra. Shape the softened butter into a sausage on a sheet of
cling film, then wrap it up tightly, securing both ends by twisting or tying a knot. Put it in the freezer, where it will keep for up to 3 months. Whenever you need an instant hit of flavoured buttery goodness, slice off a thick coin or two from frozen, depending on how much you need, then rewrap and return the log to the freezer. Let the coins thaw for 20 minutes at room temperature or put straight in a hot pan to melt and baste whatever you’re cooking.
Use it to…. add tonnes of umami-packed flavour to white fish or melt over prawn and scallop skewers for a rich Japanese-inspired finish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter