- December 2017
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 30 min
These silky textured braised leeks, made more indulgent with sherry and double cream, are delicious as a Christmas side dish.
Or, for a make-ahead Christmas side dish, try this baked butternut squash, ricotta and spinach.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.9g (4.4g saturated)
- 3.7g (3g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 leeks, trimmed and sliced into 3cm lengths
- 200ml dry sherry/white wine
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Leaves from a few fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs
- Nutmeg for grating
- 100ml double cream
- Handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
- In a large lidded casserole, heat a glug of oil, add the onion and fry for 15 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic and leeks and fry for 5 minutes, then add the sherry (or wine) and stock.
- Add the herbs and a grating of nutmeg, then season. Put the lid on and gently braise the leeks for 30 minutes until tender.
- Stir in the cream, season to taste, then serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and a little extra nutmeg.
Prepare the leeks to the end of step 1 in the morning, cover and chill. You can braise the leeks ahead but they may discolour slightly.
Rate & review