Smoked mackerel niçoise salad
- March 2021
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 min
This smoked mackerel niçoise salad is easy to scale up and its mix of fish, vegetables, eggs and potatoes is tasty, healthy and hearty.
Or, stick with tuna-based tradition with this tuna niçoise recipe.
- 46.1g (8.6g saturated)
- 25.3g (3g sugars)
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 200g waxy potatoes – we used charlotte
- 100g green beans, halved
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 50g black olives, pitted
- 1 little gem lettuce, leaves separated and chopped if large
- 150g pack smoked mackerel fillets
- Small handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Put the eggs in a small pan of cold water. Bring to the boil, cook for 4-5 minutes, then plunge into cold water. Cool the eggs, then peel and halve.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a second pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender, adding the beans for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and refresh the beans in cold water. Leave the potatoes until cool, then slice into halves (or quarters if large).
- Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl with salt and pepper until emulsified into a dressing for the salad.
- Toss together the potatoes, beans, olives, lettuce and half the dressing. Divide between 2 plates, then add 1-2 eggs and a mackerel fillet (flaked, if you like) to each. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve with the rest of the dressing on the side (or keep for another day).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Wintry Niçoise salad
This wintry Niçoise salad recipe offers everything you love about niçoise salad, plus everything that’s...
Healthy salad recipes
Check out our favourite healthy salad recipes for...
Summer salads and sides
Find yourself the perfect summer salad or side...
Working from home lunch recipes
If you're working from home at the moment,...
Lunch recipes to take to work
Ditch that shop-bought sandwich and make something from...