Smoked salmon with beetroot parsnip rösti
- December 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This quick recipe for smoked salmon and crisp beetroot-parsnip rosti is perfect for brunch or lunch. You could even serve it as a Christmas starter.
- 18.1g (5g saturated)
- 22.5g (9.8g sugars)
- 2 large beetroot
- 2 parsnips
- 40g plain flour
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- Small bunch fresh dill
- 2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 1 lemon
- 120g half-fat crème fraîche
- 200g sustainably sourced smoked salmon
- Peel and grate the beetroot (see tip) and parsnips into a large bowl. Mix in the flour, egg yolk, some ground black pepper and a good pinch of salt. Shape into 4 flat, round rösti, squeezing them tightly so they hold their shape.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then add the rösti and fry for 5-6 minutes. Lift one at the edge; if it’s golden underneath, use a large spatula to flip the rösti and cook for 5-6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, for the dressing: squeeze the juice from ½ lemon; chop the dill and mix half with the horseradish, lemon juice and crème fraîche.
- Serve the rösti topped with the salmon and dressing, with watercress and lemon wedges on the side. Sprinkle with pepper and the remaining dill.
Wear rubber gloves when preparing the beetroot to stop them staining your hands.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas salmon recipes
Quick-cured salmon with caramelised apples and röstis
Cured salmon, served with caramelised apples and crunchy potato röstis, makes an elegant festive starter.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...