Giant potato rösti
- November 2015
- Serves 8 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 1 hour 15 min
A make-ahead side dish recipe made with onions, garlic and thyme. You can freeze the rösti – just warm it through in the oven before serving.
- 9.5g (3.7g saturated)
- 39.8g (5g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying and greasing
- 30g butter, plus an extra knob
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- 1.5kg red-skinned potatoes
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
- ½ bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- Put a large glug of olive oil and a large knob of butter in a frying pan over a low-medium heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and cook for 15-20 minutes until soft, sweet and golden. Add the thyme for the last few minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Grate the potatoes on a box grater and wrap in a clean tea towel. Press it hard against the side of the sink for a few minutes to squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Grease a 23cm short-sided cake tin (see tip) with a removable base (not a springform tin, from which the rösti would be difficult to remove). Put the squeezed grated potato in a large mixing bowl with the cooled onion mixture, together with the salt, eggs, chives and some freshly ground black pepper. Mix well with your hands and put in the cake tin (don’t pack it down too tightly). Cook the rösti for 1 hour, then remove, dot the 30g butter over the surface and put back in the oven for another 15 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Remove from the tin and serve straightaway or just warm.
Use a shallow cake tin so the top crisps up. A high- sided tin would block the heat.
Make the rösti up to 8 hours ahead, keep in the tin and heat in a 180°C/160°C fan/ gas 4 for 20-25 minutes to warm up. Freeze the cooked rösti in its tin, well wrapped in cling film, for up to 1 month. Defrost well, then warm through in a medium oven to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...