Speedy pizza with onions and smoked pancetta
- May 2022
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on time 10 min. Oven time 20 min
Rustle up a speedy pizza from scratch with our easy, budget-friendly recipe. Top with smoky pancetta and parmesan for a quick dinner or tweak the toppings to use up what’s in your fridge.
Get more purse-friendly inspo for busy nights with our budget pasta recipes.
- 37.8g (18.1g saturated)
- 70.9g (6.1g sugars)
- 125g full-fat crème fraîche
- 30g parmesan, finely grated
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 250g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (sunflower or vegetable)
- Bunch salad onions, white sections thinly sliced, green parts roughly chopped (see Easy Swaps)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (see Easy Swaps)
- 8-9 slices smoked pancetta (see Easy Swaps)
- Chilli flakes and your choice of salad to serve
- Heat the oven to 210°C fan/gas 8. Put a heavy baking sheet or large pizza stone in the oven to heat up. Mix the crème fraîche with the parmesan, grated lemon zest, nutmeg and some black pepper, then set aside.
- For the dough, mix the flour with the baking powder, salt, oil and 120ml warm water to form a soft dough. Knead for 2-3 minutes until smooth, then roll out on a lightly dusted surface to an oval or rectangle.
- Transfer the pizza base to the hot tray/pizza stone, then quickly top with the crème fraîche mixture, leaving a bit of a border around the edge. Scatter with both types of onion and the pancetta. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the base is crisp and golden. Slice and serve scattered with chilli flakes, with a salad on the side (we’ve chosen a fennel, watercress, orange and parmesan salad).
Easy swaps: For a more classic take on tarte flambée (a sort of French pizza), swap the onions for 2-3 caramelised brown onions and the pancetta for crispy bacon lardons; or top with anything you fancy – crumbled sausagemeat or ’nduja for example – or make it vegetarian with thinly sliced mushrooms or tenderstem broccoli and vegetarian cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter