Spinach and paneer pulao
- April 2022
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min. Simmering time 20 min.
This quick-prep spinach pulao is the perfect vegetarian dinner for busy nights. Top with slices of golden paneer cheese and dig in.
Mix up your mealtimes with more healthy dinner recipes.
- 11g (3.8g saturated)
- 57.5g (6.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 220g pack paneer, cut into 1.5cm slices
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Thumb-size piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 250g spinach
- 250g basmati rice
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Yogurt and mango chutney to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded, non-stick frying pan or shallow casserole over a medium heat. Add the paneer and fry for 2-3 minutes until a deep golden brown. Set aside. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, garam masala and chilli flakes, then cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and spinach, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the rice in a sieve in cold water, changing the water 2-3 times. Add the rice to the pan, stir well, then pour in the stock. Cover with a lid and cook over a low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Top with the paneer, sprinkle with coriander and serve with yogurt and mango chutney.
Easy swaps: Find paneer in the chilled aisle of larger supermarkets, or use halloumi instead (it’ll be saltier so watch the seasoning).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter