- 700g sliced squid or baby squid
- 50g well-seasoned plain flour
- Vegetable oil
For the Romesco:
- 75g ground almonds
- 15g stale breadcrumbs
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 12 mild Peppadew piquanté peppers, drained
- 1½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 80ml olive oil
- Whizz the ground almonds and stale breadcrumbs in a food processor until combined.
- Add the chopped garlic cloves, the Peppadew piquanté peppers, the sweet smoked paprika, the squeeze of lemon juice and the red wine vinegar. Whizz to a paste, then trickle in the olive oil with the motor running.
- Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with extra paprika and set aside.
- Fill a deep pan two-thirds full of vegetable oil and set over a medium heat until it reaches 180°C or until a piece of bread dropped in browns in 40 seconds.
- Toss the squid in the flour, then add batches of squid to the hot oil using tongs. Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Drain on kitchen paper, scatter with sea salt flakes, then keep warm until all the squid has been cooked. Serve with the romesco.