Sticky balsamic pork ribs with coleslaw
- August 2005
- Serves 4
- Prep time 10 min, cooking time 50 min
A finger lickin’ summer barbecue recipe for pork ribs steeped in a sticky balsamic glaze. Serve to guests with the crunchy coleslaw and let everyone dig in!
Fancy something a bit different? Take a look at these seriously sticky ribs with a marmalade glaze.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 16.2g (3.5g saturated)
- 16.2g (15.2g sugars)
- 1.2kg pork spare ribs
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
For the coleslaw
- 4 tbsp light mayonnaise
- Juice of ½lemon
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- ½ white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, roughly grated
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced diagonally
- Light a disposable or charcoal barbecue. Put the ribs into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make a glaze for the ribs. Put the balsamic vinegar and chilli into a small pan over a high heat. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until reduced by half and thickened slightly. Set aside to cool, then season.
- Make the coleslaw. Put the mayonnaise into a large serving bowl, stir in the lemon juice and season well. Add the onion, cabbage, carrot and celery and mix well. Season, cover and set aside.
- If using a barbecue: Brush the glaze over the ribs and place on the hot barbecue. Cook for 10 minutes (over an indirect medium heat if it’s a gas barbecue), turning now and then until lightly charred all over.
If using an oven: pop the ribs on a baking tray lined with foil and cook under a hot grill.
- Divide the ribs between plates and serve with the coleslaw – and plenty of napkins!
You can cook the ribs from raw in an oven preheated to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cook for 40 minutes, turning halfway, then brush with the glaze and cook for 10 minutes more, until tender and lightly charred.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jersey royal new potato recipes
Garlic and sage smashed jersey royals with pan-fried sea bass
Pan-fried sea bass is a perfect match for these golden potatoes, drizzled with a salty...