Summer pudding arctic roll
- August 2019
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 13 min, plus cooling and at least 4 hours freezing
A gorgeous blueberry sponge is filled with mixed berries and ice cream before rolling and freezing; a beautiful arctic roll recipe for the summer.
Looking for a more traditional recipe? Try our strawberry and lemon curd arctic roll recipe.
- 4.6g (2.3g saturated)
- 38.2g (33g sugars)
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 190g caster sugar
- 150g fresh blueberries
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of juice
- 80g plain flour
- 500g tub good-quality vanilla ice cream
- 125g berry jam
- 250g frozen mixed berries
- 250g fresh mixed berries, any large ones halved
- 50g dark chocolate
- Fresh, unsprayed rose petals for decorating
You’ll also need
- 25 x 35cm lipped baking tray, greased and lined with non-stick baking paper, plus 2 more sheets of baking paper slightly larger than the tray
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Crack the eggs into a stand mixer (or use a large mixing bowl and an electric hand mixer). Add 120g of the sugar and a pinch of salt, then whisk on a high speed for a few minutes until the mixture has tripled in volume and is fluffy.
- Take a large handful of blueberries and cut each in half (set aside the rest). Dot them around the lined baking sheet, cut-side down.
- Add the lemon zest to the egg mixture and whisk for another minute. Sift in the flour, then fold in using a large metal spoon to keep in as much air as possible. Evenly spoon the batter over the blueberries, then transfer the tray to the oven. Bake for around 13 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Sprinkle one of the 2 large sheets of baking paper with 10g of the remaining caster sugar. Flip out the cooked sponge onto the un-sugared paper, then flip it back onto the sugared paper so the blueberry-stained sponge faces down. Starting with the long side, roll up the sponge like a swiss roll, using the baking paper to help you. Leave to cool for 30 minutes. Put the ice cream in the fridge to soften slightly.
- Once the sponge has cooled, unroll it and spread the jam all over. Put the frozen berries in a food processor and whizz with the remaining 60g sugar until smooth. Dot the frozen berry mixture over the sponge with generous spoonfuls of the ice cream, fresh berries and the remaining blueberries (set aside some berries for serving). Leave a border around the filling, so when you start to roll it up there’s room for the filling to spread out a little. Reroll the sponge around the filling so the 2 long edges meet (if any of the filling spills out, press it back in gently). Wrap the baking paper around the roll and twist the ends so it looks like a big Christmas cracker, then freeze for 4 hours or until needed (see Make Ahead).
- When ready to serve, toss the remaining berries in a bowl with a little lemon juice. Shave the chocolate into curls over the arctic roll, dot over the remaining berries and the rose petals, then enjoy.
Make to the end of step 5 up to 4 days ahead. Keep the roll wrapped in the freezer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...