Sunny vegetable patties
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook, plus chilling
Patties are the Jamaican answer to fast food. This vegetarian, Rasta-style patty uses bright, healthy veg and spiced yellow Jamaican pastry.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29g (17.4g saturated)
- 56.3g (7.7g sugar)
- ½ yellow pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 medium carrot, cut into small dice
- 200g (about ¼) potato or butternut squash, cut into small dice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 75g canned sweetcorn, drained
- 50g vegetarian orange cheese (such as vegetarian Double Gloucester), grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the patty pastry
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tsp ground turmeric
- 110g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 small free-range egg, lightly beaten, to glaze
- For the pastry, put the flour, turmeric and a pinch of salt in a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers. Add 4-5 tbsp cold water, mixing quickly with a knife until the pastry comes together. Roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
- Put the pepper, carrot and squash in a saucepan with a small amount of just-boiled water to cover. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Drain, place in a bowl and mix with the remaining filling ingredients.
- Cut the pastry into 4 equal-sized pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry pieces to make 4 large ovals (approx 15cm in diameter) with the thickness of a pound coin. Divide the filling among the patties, placing it on one long half of each oval, leaving 1cm around the edge. Brush the edges with water, fold the empty halves over and use a fork to crimp the patty edges together.
- Prick the patties a couple of times with a fork, brush with the beaten egg and cook for 25 minutes until golden on the outside and cooked through.
To freeze: Make the patties up until the end of step 3, then open-freeze them on a tray. Place them in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to
3 months. Defrost in the fridge, then continue from step 4.
Rate & review