Tortino di porri e riso (leek and rice bake)
- November 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 45-50 min, plus resting
Anna Del Conte demonstrates the simplicity and deliciousness of vegetarian cooking with this recipe for an authentic Italian vegetable bake.
This recipe is from Anna’s book Vegetables all’Italiana.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 26.4g (6.4g saturated)
- 28.5g (2.8g sugars)
- 400g leeks, trimmed and sliced into 5mm rounds (see Anna’s tip)
- 85g arborio rice
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- 3 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Put the sliced leeks in a large bowl of cold water. Wash thoroughly, removing any earth or grit, then drain and transfer to a bowl. Add the rice.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the bowl together with half the oil and 3 tbsp of the grated cheese, then season with salt and pepper. Mix well – hands are the best tool for the job. Leave the mixture to rest for about 1 hour: the rice and leeks will absorb some of the liquid and soften up.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Grease a medium baking dish with some of the remaining oil and spoon in the mixture. Mix the rest of the cheese with the breadcrumbs, then sprinkle over the top. Drizzle with the rest of the oil, then bake for 45-50 minutes. Test it’s done by pushing the point of a knife into the middle and digging out a few grains of rice to see if they’re tender. Take the dish out of the oven and leave to rest for a few minutes before serving.
For this dish you need only the white part of the leeks and the inside pale green leaves (keep the coarser green foliage for stock or soup).
Anna serves this dish with roast cherry tomatoes when they’re in season. Put 600g cherry tomatoes in a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 15-20 minutes in a medium-hot oven. Optional additions: crushed garlic, a splash of balsamic vinegar and, at the end, chopped basil.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...