Baked stuffed tomatoes filled with lemon, basil and Parmesan rice
- August 2006
- Serves 4
- Hands-on 30 min, oven time 40 min
Vegetarians will love these giant tomatoes stuffed with delightfully cheesy Parmesan rice.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.1g (2.3g saturated)
- 47.2g (14.1g sugar)
- 8 large beef tomatoes (about 200g each), such as Marmande
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g long grain rice
- 30g Mi-Cuit sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (we used Merchant Gourmet)
- 300ml vegetable stock, hot
- 15g fresh basil leaves, finely shredded, plus extra leaves to garnish
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 25g vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated
- Cut a 2cm thick slice off the top of each beef tomato. Scoop out the pulp with a melon baller or teaspoon into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat, until soft but not browned.
- Add the tomato pulp to the pan, increase the heat slightly, and simmer vigorously for about 10 minutes, stirring now and then, until the mixture is well-reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the rice, sun-dried tomatoes and the vegetable stock, cover and leave to cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, until the rice is only half-cooked. Stir in the basil, lemon zest and Parmesan and season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Put the hollowed out tomatoes into a lightly oiled baking dish and fill with the rice mixture. Replace the tops and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the tomatoes are tender and the rice is cooked through. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with a crisp mixed salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...