Grilled turmeric chicken with cucumber salad
- February 2020
- Serves 2-4
- Hands-on time 25-35 min, cooking time 25 min plus marinating
If you can, leave the chicken to marinate in the turmeric yoghurt overnight for maximum flavour. We’ve served the gorgeously vibrant and seriously moist chicken with a pickled cucumber salad, but steamed basmati rice would make a welcome addition too.
- 11.6g (3.3g saturated)
- 4.1g (4g sugars)
- 150g natural yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 free-range chicken thighs
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ deseeded and finely chopped red chilli
- 1 roughly peeled cucumber
- Basmati rice, lime wedges, roughly chopped coriander, to garnish
- In a large bowl, mix the natural yogurt, lime juice, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, 1 crushed garlic clove, ½ tsp salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Make a few slashes in the top of each chicken thigh, then add to the bowl, turning to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour (ideally overnight).
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, whisk together the other crushed garlic clove, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and red chilli. Cut the cucumber in half lengthways, then in half again. Using a rolling pin, bash each piece on a work surface to split it, then roughly tear into pieces. Toss with the dressing and set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Remove the chicken from the marinade, then grill on a baking tray for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked through and slightly charred (the juices should run clear when the chicken is pierced in the thickest part with a skewer). Serve with the cucumber and basmati rice, if you like, with lime wedges for squeezing and roughly chopped coriander to garnish.
Rate & review