Vegan tofu stir-fry
- December 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Donal Skehan’s full-flavoured vegan tofu stir-fry is covered in sweet, sticky, homemade General Tso sauce – a staple of Chinese restaurants in North America. The sauce contains hoisin sauce, which is made from soybeans and spices and is usually vegan – but do check the label for non-vegan artificial colourings if you need to.
Looking for a quicker vegan stir-fry dish? Try this quick sesame tofu and pak choi stir-fry.
For more of Donal’s recipes, visit donalskehan.com.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.3g fat (1.9g saturated)
- 10.2g protein
- 10.9g carbs (5.4g sugars)
- 1.5g fibre
- 1.1g salt
- 280g block extra-firm tofu
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce (check it’s vegan if necessary)
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, very thinly sliced, plus extra to garnish
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes and dry well on kitchen paper. Put half the cornflour in a bowl and add the tofu cubes. Toss to coat, then add the remaining cornflour and toss again. Set aside for 5 minutes to become slightly tacky.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and brown sugar in a bowl, then set aside.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or frying pan over a high heat and cook the tofu for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside to drain on kitchen paper. Drain any excess oil from the wok.
- Allow the wok to cool a little, then add the sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chilli, then gently fry for about 1 minute before adding the sauce mixture with 150ml water. Bubble until you have a thick, glossy sauce.
- Return the tofu to the pan and toss to coat all over. Serve with extra chilli, steamed rice and broccoli.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick Chinese recipes
Broccoli and mixed mushrooms in garlic black bean sauce
A quick, full-flavoured vegetarian chinese stir-fry recipe of broccoli and mushrooms in black bean sauce.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...