Vegan tofu stir-fry
- December 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Donal Skehan’s full-flavoured vegan tofu stir-fry is covered in sweet, sticky, homemade General Tso sauce – a staple of Chinese restaurants in North America. The sauce contains hoisin sauce, which is made from soybeans and spices and is usually vegan – but do check the label for non-vegan artificial colourings if you need to.
Looking for a quicker vegan stir-fry dish? Try this quick sesame tofu and pak choi stir-fry.
For more of Donal’s recipes, visit donalskehan.com.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.3g fat (1.9g saturated)
- 10.2g protein
- 10.9g carbs (5.4g sugars)
- 1.5g fibre
- 1.1g salt
- 280g block extra-firm tofu
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce (check it’s vegan if necessary)
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, very thinly sliced, plus extra to garnish
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes and dry well on kitchen paper. Put half the cornflour in a bowl and add the tofu cubes. Toss to coat, then add the remaining cornflour and toss again. Set aside for 5 minutes to become slightly tacky.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and brown sugar in a bowl, then set aside.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or frying pan over a high heat and cook the tofu for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside to drain on kitchen paper. Drain any excess oil from the wok.
- Allow the wok to cool a little, then add the sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chilli, then gently fry for about 1 minute before adding the sauce mixture with 150ml water. Bubble until you have a thick, glossy sauce.
- Return the tofu to the pan and toss to coat all over. Serve with extra chilli, steamed basmati or brown rice and broccoli.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick Chinese recipes
Broccoli and mixed mushrooms in garlic black bean sauce
A quick, full-flavoured vegetarian chinese stir-fry recipe of broccoli and mushrooms in black bean sauce.