Crispy tofu stir-fry
- April 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 min
This tasty fried vegetarian recipe gives a hearty kick thanks to the Szechuan peppercorns, garlic and ginger.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18.9g (1.6g saturated)
- 10.9g (6.7g sugar)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tsp crushed Szechuan peppercorns
- 150g fried tofu or tofu (from major supermarkets), sliced
- 200g mangetout, halved
- 150g baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
- 250g Chinese broccoli or tenderstem broccoli, thinly sliced
- 300g beansprouts
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- Sesame oil, for drizzling
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or deep frying pan and add the shallots, chillies, ginger, garlic, Szechuan peppercorns and a pinch of salt. Fry for 1 minute, add the tofu and stir-fry for another 2 minutes, then remove to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil and stir-fry the mangetout, sweetcorn, broccoli and beansprouts for a few minutes, until starting to wilt, then add the soy sauce and rice wine.
- Return the tofu and flavourings to the wok or pan and toss everything together. Drizzle with sesame oil and serve with cooked egg noodles.
You can buy fried tofu (sometimes labelled bean curd) and Szechuan peppercorns in Asian food shops or order online from www.wingyip.co.uk.
Rate & review