Aubergine and tofu stir-fry
- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook
A quick vegan stir-fry recipe recipe made with aubergine, tofu and chilli. This fiery side dish is a great accompaniment to a Chinese feast.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 9.3g (1.6g saturated)
- 10g (4.9g sugar)
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 aubergine, sliced into 2cm x 4cm batons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, fin∂ƒely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp hot chilli bean paste, to taste
- 200ml vegetable stock, hot
- 200ml fresh firm tofu, cut into 1.5cm squares
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black rice vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Heat a wok over a high heat and add half the oil. Add the aubergine and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes until browned and softened. Add a few splashes of water to create some steam to help the aubergine cook, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Spoon the aubergine onto a plate.
- Add the remaining groundnut oil to the wok. When the oil starts to smoke, add the garlic, ginger and the red chilli and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the hot chilli bean paste and stir together.
- Add the stock and the fresh tofu squares and bring to a simmer. Add the light soy sauce, vinegar and the brown sugar. Stir in the spring onions and the cornflour paste and cook to thicken for a minute. Serve with steamed jasmine rice, if you like.
Rate & review