- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 pork chipolata sausages
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150g chantenay carrots, quartered lengthways
- 2 parsnips, quartered lengthways
- 150g field mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp Marmite
- 1 heaped tbsp runny honey
- 250ml dark ale
- 250g ready-cooked Puy lentils
- Chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy-based pan and brown the sausages on all sides, then set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots and parsnips. Fry for 8 minutes until golden brown and softened. Add field mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Return the sausages to the pan and stir through the Marmite and runny honey. Pour over the dark ale, bring to a simmer and add the Puy lentils. Bubble for 5 minutes until sticky, then check the seasoning. Scatter with chopped fresh flatleaf parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- This would also work well with spicy sausages.