Beef skewers with horseradish dip
- December 2007
- Makes about 10 skewers
- 30 minutes, plus marinating
This beef skewer recipe is great to serve as a canapé at a cocktail party, or as a starter for a sit-down meal.
- 15g (7g saturated)
- 2.6g (1.9g sugar)
- 500g beef rump steak
- 1½ tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp freshly grated horseradish or hot horseradish sauce or cream
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves or
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, plus bunch of fresh rosemary, to garnish
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp port
- 200g crème fraîche
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp Maldon sea salt or
- generous pinch table salt
- 4 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Cut the beef into 2.5cm cubes and place in a freezer bag with the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the horseradish. Add the rosemary, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce and port, seal and gently shake. Leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- As you let the meat come to room temperature, soak about 10 bamboo skewers in water.
- Make the dip by beating together the crème fraîche, the remaining horseradish, mustard, salt and chives, leaving some chives to sprinkle over the top.
- Thread 3 or 4 pieces of meat onto each skewer and griddle over a high heat for 2 minutes each side. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes and serve, garnished with fresh rosemary.
Rate & review