Five-spice chicken skewers with speedy chow mein
- June 2011
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 400g free-range chicken breast, cut into chunks
- Bunch of spring onions
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300g fresh egg noodles
- 300g beansprouts
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- Preheat the grill. In a bowl, mix the five-spice powder, 2 tbsp hoisin sauce, the ketchup and chicken. Thread the chicken onto 8 skewers and grill for 15 minutes until cooked through, turning once or twice.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the spring onions and heat the oil in a wok.
- Put the spring onions, noodles and beansprouts into the hot wok and stir-fry over a high heat for 4-5 minutes until heated through. Season with soy sauce and the remaining hoisin sauce and divide among 4 bowls. Serve each bowl with 2 chicken skewers.
If using wooden skewers, pre-soak in warm water for 30 minutes or foil-wrap the ends so they don’t burn.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter