Berbere-spiced chicken, potato and greens traybake
- May 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40 min
This gorgeous springtime traybake uses a berbere spice blend made with chilli, coriander, allspice, cumin and cloves. It’s a really wonderful ingredient that you’ll use again and again.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 13.3g (2.7g saturated)
- 38.9g (10.3g sugars)
- 750g new potatoes
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 4 free-range chicken legs
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1-1½ tbsp berbere spice blend (see Know-how)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 300g spring greens, chopped
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 2 handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
- Pared zest 2 limes, plus a squeeze of juice and wedges to serve
You’ll also need…
- Pestle and mortar
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 7 minutes, then drain and leave to steam dry.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large roasting tin for 2 minutes, add the chicken skin-side down, then roast for 5 minutes to crisp up.
- Tip the potatoes back into the pan and partly squash with a masher to rough up the edges.
- Grind the cumin seeds and garlic with the berbere in a pestle and mortar. In a small bowl, combine a third of the mixture with the maple syrup.
- Turn down the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Turn the chicken over and add the remaining two thirds of the spice mix from the mortar to the tin. Add the potatoes to the tin, toss everything together well, then roast for 25 minutes. Drizzle the maple syrup mix over the chicken and roast for 10 minutes more.
- Put the spring greens in a colander and pour over a kettle of freshly boiled water to soften, then add to the roasting tin and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Sprinkle the tray-roast with the spring onions, coriander, lime zest and a squeeze of the juice, then serve with lime wedges.
Berbere is an aromatic spice blend from North Africa that includes chilli, coriander, allspice, cumin and cloves. Most large supermarkets sell Bart Blends berbere.
Rate & review