Cheat’s prawn gumbo
- November 2009
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 minutes
You need just six ingredients to make this 15-minute spicy prawn gumbo-style recipe – it’s an ideal midweek supper.
- 200g pack smoked bacon lardons
- 125g okra, halved
- 382g jar Discovery Creole Season & Sauce
- 250g pack cooked basmati rice
- 400g large cooked and peeled prawns
- Handful fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Heat a large, deep frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the smoked bacon lardons and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until golden. Add the okra and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add the seasoning from the jar of Creole Season & Sauce and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the sauce, three-quarters fill the jar with water and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the cooked basmati rice (separate the grains with a fork) and prawns. Simmer for 2 minutes until piping hot throughout.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with warm crusty bread or corn bread, if you like.
Serve with warm crusty bread or corn bread, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato gumbo with cornbread
Gumbo is the quintessential Deep South dish. Simon Rimmer’s vegetarian version is made with sweet...
A classic from the American south, this tasty rice dish is made with chicken, prawns...