Chicken tart with leeks and Gruyère
- December 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, 45-50 min to cook, plus chilling
This shortcrust pastry chicken and leek tart is a great low-cost recipe which doesn’t scrimp on taste. You can use leftovers from a roast, or shop-bought cooked chicken. And remember to use any leftover scraps of pastry to make something simple, like little jam tarts!
- 85.9g (39.6g saturated)
- 55.7g (3.5g sugar)
- 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 110g cooked chicken
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 284ml pot double cream
- 50g Gruyère, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roll out a 500g pack shortcrust pastry on a lightly floured surface and press into a 23cm round, loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin, allowing the pastry to drape slightly over the edges, then trim any excess. Prick the base all over with a fork and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Line the pastry with kitchen foil and baking beans or rice and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and foil and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes, until the pastry is a pale biscuit colour.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter and gently fry 2 large leeks, sliced, and 3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked, for 5 minutes, until tender. Spread the base of the tart with 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard, then top with the herby leek mixture.
- Shred 110g cooked chicken (use the chicken left over from a roast, for extra value for money) and put in the tart case. Mix together 3 large free-range eggs with 284ml pot double cream and 50g Gruyère, grated. Season well with salt and pepper and pour into the tart case. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set and golden. Carefully remove from the tin. Serve with a green salad.
Don’t waste the trimmings from your pastry. Re-roll them, cut into small discs and place them in shallow tartlet tins. Add a dollop of jam and make delicious jam tarts.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cheddar and chard tart with cheese and oatmeal pastry
Cheddar and chard are paired with a robust oatmeal pastry in Debbie Major’s cheesy vegetarian...