Coconut beef madras
- January 2006
- 8 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5kg beef blade steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 200ml coconut milk
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 2 green chillies, halved lengthways
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large flameproof casserole. Brown the beef in batches over a medium-high heat, adding a little extra oil as needed, then set the meat aside on a plate.
- Heat the rest of the oil, add the onions, garlic and ginger and fry gently for 20 minutes until very soft and light brown. Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Return to the pan and add the curry paste, coconut milk, cinnamon sticks, chillies, beef and salt. Cover and simmer gently for 2½ hours, uncovering for the last 15 minutes to thicken up the sauce a little. Remove the cinnamon sticks and serve with steamed rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...