Coconut chicken rice
- December 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 25-30 min, plus 10 min standing
This one-pan recipe heroes brussels sprouts in an easy Indian-inspired chicken and rice dish made with coconut milk, hazelnuts and coriander. It’s a little different but you’re bound to love it.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 55.5g (5.5g sugars)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 8 free-range chicken thighs (use skin-on, bone-in thighs for the best flavour)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 240g basmati rice, rinsed
- 400ml can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 60g blanched hazelnuts, toasted
- 2-3 tsp toasted sesame oil to taste, plus extra to drizzle
- 100-150g brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1-2 green chillies, thinly sliced, to taste
- Small bunch fresh coriander, finely choppe
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- Heat the oil in a large shallow casserole or large, deep frying pan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat. Brown the chicken thighs on each side, then set aside. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 8 minutes, stirring, until golden.
- Add the rice, then season and mix well to coat. Arrange the chicken on top in an even layer and pour over the coconut milk along with 150ml water. Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer, then cover with the lid and cook for 25-30 minutes. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Crush the hazelnuts in a pestle and mortar, adding sesame oil to taste. Mix
the shredded sprouts with the chillies, coriander and the lime zest and juice, then stir into the chicken pan. Spoon over the oil and hazelnut mixture and serve with extra lime wedges.
Rate & review