Coffee butterfly cakes with whisky
- June 2016
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 16-20 min, plus cooling
Forget coffee with your cake, have it in your cake. Coffee-infused butterfly cakes, topped with a rich whisky icing, are sure to make for a merry afternoon treat.
Would rather skip the booze? Bake our classic coffee and walnut cake instead.
- 32.6g (20.1g saturated)
- 50.5g (37.8g sugars)
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50ml milk
For the icing
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp instant espresso coffee powder, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 2-3 tbsp whisky
You’ll also need…
- A 12-hole cupcake tray lined with paper cases or baking paper squares
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the 200g butter and 200g sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Continue beating the mixture as you slowly add the beaten egg, a little at a time, making sure it’s combined after each addition. Beat in the coffee until completely combined, then, using a metal spoon, carefully fold in the flour and milk. Dollop the cake mixture evenly into each cupcake case.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until cooked through and a skewer comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, whisk the butter and icing sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the coffee and whisky until the icing is smooth and creamy. Spoon into a piping bag. Chill until needed.
- Using a sharp knife, carve out a disc from the centre of each cooled cake, then cut each disc in half to make the butterfly wings. Pipe the icing in a swirl into each hole, then place the wings on top.
The cakes can be frozen at the end of step 2, well wrapped in cling film, for up to 1 month. The icing can be made 24 hours
in advance and kept in the fridge. Remove from the fridge to soften before decorating the sponges, then eat on the same day.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter