Coronation egg sando
- May 2023
- Makes 2
- Hands-on time 15 min
Give good old egg mayo the sando treatment to create something far superior, then elevate it to the stratosphere with coronation chicken flavours. With mango chutney for sweetness, chilli for heat, herbs for freshness and bombay mix for crunch, it renders cress – egg mayo’s usual partner – obsolete.
For a 10-min fix, try coronation chicken on toast.
- 38.3g (9.3g saturated)
- 58.6g (18g sugars)
- 6 small free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (ideally Kewpie mayonnaise)
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp madras curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 4 spring onions
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sultanas or chopped dried apricots
- ¼ bunch coriander, chopped
- ¼ bunch mint, chopped
- Juice ½ lemon
- 4 thick slices soft white bread
- 4 small handfuls bombay mix
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, then gently lower the eggs into it and cook for 7½ minutes. Run under cold water to cool, then peel. Roughly chop 4 of the eggs and put in a bowl. Keep the other 2 whole.
- Add the mayonnaise, crème fraîche, mango chutney, spices, spring onions, chilli, sultanas and herbs to the chopped egg and mix well. Taste and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Slice the crusts off the bread and put the whole eggs on top of 2 of the slices in the centre. Spoon the egg mixture around the whole eggs, coming right up to the edges of the bread. Sprinkle with a good layer of bombay mix, then top with the lids. Carefully cut the sandwiches in half, through the equator of the whole egg.
You can make the egg mayo mix up to six hours in advance and keep it covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Best of British recipes
Egg mayonnaise with spring onion, mustard and chives
A good egg mayo is something not to be overlooked....
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter